3.7.2 Wiping or Erasing Methods
Select a wipe method or an erase method from the Method drop-down list.
- One Pass Zeros or One Pass Random: The number of passes is fixed and cannot be changed. When the write head passes through a sector, it writes only zeros or a series of random characters.
- US DoD 5220.22-M: The write head passes over each sector three times. The first time with zeros (0x00), second time with 0xFF and the third time with random characters. There is one final pass to verify random characters by reading.
- German VSITR: The write head passes over each sector seven times.
- Russian GOST p50739-95: The write head passes over each sector five times.
- Gutmann: The write head passes over each sector 35 times.
- User Defined: You indicate the number of times the write head passes over each sector. Each overwriting pass is performed with a buffer containing random characters.
Picture. Wiping or Erasing Methods